The Trellis Jewelry Display Project
A week or so ago, I posted a couple of pictures of a garden trellis I had just finished putting a base coat of paint on in preparation for my latest “crafty” project. I have wanted to make myself a jewelry display for quite sometime, and just hadn’t gotten around to it until now… And, indeed, I *finally* finished it! I am so thrilled with how it turned out, and was certainly glad to replace the old cork bulletin board I have been using for I don’t know how long…
This is what I had hanging on my wall before. A boring, drab, and not-so-pretty corkboard:
Last year sometime, on one of my many “thrifting” forays, I found this garden trellis at my local Goodwill and bought it for a mere $4.00! (Quite a steal, I know!) I had envisioned what it would be as soon as I saw it, and it was just a matter of having the time to actually get it done. It only took me a year to get around to it, but this is how it looked after the initial coats of paint:
(As a side note, this 40-foot pine tree came down during our last big storm here a couple of weeks ago, so I took full advantage of the “paint prop” before the guys came by and cut it all up.)
I let the paint dry and cure for a few days before proceeding with the rest of my project. At that point, I had a pretty good idea of how I wanted to decorate the top bar, so I got out the paint and my Sharpie markers and jumped right in! Here’s what we had after my decorating spree:
And, a close-up view:
The next step was to add my window screen, courtesy of the staple gun and some much-needed brute strength from Troy… (Without him, this would have taken *forever* for me to do! I bet he must have put at least 100 staples in this baby!)…
We started with the underside of the top bar and laid the window screen flush with the back edge and stapled it all the way across in 1/2″ increments so that it would be good and tight all the way across.
We stretched the screen down and around the bottom edge first, cutting out a small section where the bars come out and down at the base. Then we stretched it to either side and around to the back. (Like I said, easily 100+ staples by the time we were done!)
The next step was to trim off the extra screen, and then add picture wire along the back edge so that it would hang without drooping down. Troy made the wire go across the back pretty tightly to achieve the look I wanted. He used 3 cup hooks screwed in at even intervals, and then took the wire and twisted it back on itself at either side, until it was fairly taut. (I forgot to take a picture of that part, but it pretty much looks like a straight line across the back when done.)
We then added quite a few nails along the bottom edge and down the “legs” of the piece to hang my necklaces and bracelets.
And, voila’! Done! All that remained was to hang it on the wall and put my jewelry on it! Here is the finished project before I hung my jewelry…
And, finally, the “After” shot… This looks *so* much better than the old one!
I am so happy with this display!! It looks SO much better than what I had to begin with, and now when I look at my jewelry, I can actually find what I am looking for… I also had a lot of fun making it, and am now going to start work on another one for my office/studio. I just MUST have *somewhere* to hang all those earrings and necklaces I make every day! 😉
Till next time…
Peace, Love, Creativity,
Don’t forget to stop by Fresh String Beads on ArtFire! I’ve added quite a few new earrings and findings, so please come by and check them out!